About Me

My photo
I'm a 45 year old mother of 3 boys. I live in a beautiful old house that needs a lot of TLC with my youngest son and 2 dogs. I am working hard at keeping myself healthy and fit by working out and doing a spot of running. I'm a creative person and am passionate about keeping traditional skills alive. I cook, knit, bake, garden, preserve, read, write and am now learning to spin and quilt. Oh and I sometimes swear.....

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

1 in 8

New figures published on World Cancer Day (4th Feb) showed that breast cancer rates in the UK have increased by 3.5 per cent in 10 years with 47,700 women diagnosed with the disease in 2008 compared with 42,400 in 1999.  That's means 1 in every 8 women.

Dr Rachel Greig, Senior Policy Officer at Breakthrough Breast Cancer, said:

"These figures are a wake up call and should not be ignored. More women are developing breast cancer and, although survival is improving thanks to breakthroughs in breast awareness, screening and treatment, we clearly have much further to go. A two pronged attack is needed - commitment to research into the causes of breast cancer, supported by women arming themselves with knowledge of the risks that may contribute to the disease.

Some risk factors, such as getting older, cannot be changed but the good news is that others can. By drinking less, maintaining a healthy weight and getting physically active, women can reduce their risk of developing breast cancer."

I have blogged about my brush with breast cancer.  I was one of the lucky ones.  That's why I'm taking part in a triathlon.  By (trying to) drink less alcohol, keeping my weight at a healthy level and training properly for the tri I'm reducing my personal risk.  But for the 1 in 8, I want to help raise awareness and funds to make that 1 woman's journey a bit easier.

I've signed up to Breakthrough Breast Cancer's £1000 challenge.  Please help me raise money for a worthwhile cause.  Don't bring me flowers or wine.  Don't give me a birthday present.  Donate a few pounds to this charity instead.  I've put a clicky linky on the right.

Thanks

Ali xxx

No comments: